Product Manager with strong software engineering background and proven track record in delivering creative and efficient solutions to struggling and successful projects
Summary of Qualifications
· 5 years of product management experience.
· 11 years of application development experience in fast-paced high-performance enterprises.
· Proven capacity in managing and contributing to the full software development life cycle.
· Strong team player with the unique skills to join high stake projects, often in times of crisis, and provide efficient and reliable solutions that meet budgetary, technical and time constraints.
· Experienced communicator with clients, stakeholders and coworkers, from staff to CEO.
· Mature, self-motivated, intellectually curious individual who takes ownership in extracting project requirements, establishing viable specifications and identifying new sales leads.
· Self-starter with a strong sense of responsibility taking pride in delivering quality work and eager to contribute as a team player and in leadership roles.
Product management/Project management
· Defined objectives, established development plans, identified and allocated technical and labor resources accordingly.
· Identified challenges and obstacles early on, saving time and frustrations down the road. Managed stakeholders’ expectation and defined production priorities. Assured project delivery within time and budgetary constraints.
· Interfaced between clients and engineering. Organized and moderated user group meetings to improve communications, gathered requirements and promoted product direction.
· Facilitated project plan adjustments while maintaining focus on main objectives.
· Communicated to decision-makers future development and defined new objectives.
· Encouraged team involvement by championing initiatives and rewarding successes.
· Managed an 8-person team composed of junior and senior software engineers. Hired software engineers and database administrators as employees and consultants.
· Secured company’s main accounts by establishing strong business and personal relationships with clients.
· Created a detailed and comprehensive delivery plan for major releases of enterprise software for a department of 30 people.
· Delivered a Business Intelligence solution to a major customer, working with them to define requirements, scope and implementation strategies.
Sales engineering/Presale support
· Planned, prepared and presented product demonstrations.
· Won new business by developing software integration requirements and proposing solutions.
· Successfully responded to formal request for proposal (RFP) and request for information (RFI) documents, leading to strategically important contracts.
· Strong reputation as a troubleshooter for complex technical issues around application builds and deployment.
· Increased client satisfaction by using appropriate domain language. Translated technical lingo into information easily understood and applicable by nontechnical end-users.
· Gathered requirements and designed over 7 mission-critical information management applications for public safety, civil engineering, and personal growth clients.
· Created department-wide best business practices, reducing time to software production and cutting software defects by 67%.
· Champion of usability and quality. Restored customer and stakeholder confidence by transforming underperforming deliverables into flagship products. Promoted a culture of innovation and quality across the engineering organization.
· Successfully transitioning legacy applications into object-oriented architecture to produce scalable, manageable and maintainable applications.
· Promoted Agile/XP programming model and Service Oriented Architecture (SOA).
Data analysis and database programming
· Improved and optimized reporting performance by creating OLAP schemas.
· Increased staff productivity and improved officer safety by providing client agencies unprecedented access to vital reports with a complete Business Intelligence solution.
· Improved code maintainability and reduced production life cycle by over 50% by separating data access layer from presentation layer.
· Maximized OLTP performance and improved data integrity by correcting schema normalization and creating tables, views and indexes where appropriate.
· Took over a project that was three years behind schedule, redesigned, rewrote and delivered the application in 3 months. Transformed application from being awkward and unreliable to becoming company’s flag ship product.
· Transformed the project management website from being an unreliable application to becoming a highly customizable and marketable web based tool. New design reduced the original 3-4 weeks deployment time to a few hours.
· Designed and created a web service based public Application Programming Interface which allowed company to win key Request for Proposal bids.
Online community development and internet marketing
· Created from the ground up two community websites in the arena of personal growth.
· Selected technology and managed third party resources.
· Designed user experience and specified website functionality.
· Assure user conversion and retention with email campaigns and teleseminar series.
· Built communities from 0 to over 2,000 active members in less than a year.
· Authored business and marketing plans to drive website to premier personal growth portal status.
· Developed strategic alliances, crafted joint ventures, and created affiliate programs.
· Analyzed marketing campaign performance with Google Analytics and adjusted business strategies.
December 2006 – Present: Founder and Chief Technical Officer, Peer Momentum and MePongoLasPilas.com.
August 2005 – Present: Independent Consultant, ByYourSite Consulting.
August 2003 – August 2005: Senior Software Architect, Data911 Systems.
August 2001 – August 2003: Software Engineering Team Lead, Data911 Systems.
April 2000 – August 2001: Independent Consultant/Web Applications, ByYourSite Consulting.
Jun 1999 – April 2000: Lead Programmer, CH2M Hill.
September 1997 – Jun 1999: Programmer, CH2M Hill.
September 1995 – September 1997: Freelance web designer/programmer.
Professional Experience with Visual Basic, Visual Basic for
Knowledge of Java, Perl, XML, XSLT, C++.
Databases: SQL Server, Oracle, Oracle Lite, MS Access.
Frameworks: Microsoft.NET, DotNetNuke CMS framework, Microstrategy 8, SOA, MS SharePoint.
Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows, Linux, Mac, Open VMS.
Applications: Visual Studio, Visual Source Safe, MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Publisher, Outlook, OneNote), MS Project (client and server), MS SharePoint (deployment & administration), Enterprise Architect, Visio, House On the Hill (issue tracking system), Altova XMLSpy, Altova MapForce, Fireworks, DreamWeaver, Photoshop, Contribute, NUnit, ArcView, MapGuide, TOAD, SQL Plus.
Education and Training
Computer Information Systems Courses:
Microstrategy 8 certification:
Certified Project Designer (CPD), Certified Platform Administrator (CPA) and completed all courses for the Microstrategy 8 Certified Report Developer (CRD).
UC Berkeley Extension and Peralta Colleges California,
Courses in Java, C++, Perl, Data Structure, UNIX administration, XML and XSLT, Object Oriented Design.
Continued Education and Seminars:
Ultimate Leadership Camp, Peak Potentials, 2008.
Traffic conversion strategies, stick strategies and teleseminar strategies, Alex Mandossian, 2007.
Affiliate program strategies, Declan Dunn, 2007.
Master’s Degree in Environmental Consulting, Institut ECO-Conseil and Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Arts et Industries de Strasbourg – France, 1994.
Bachelor of Science in Marine Biology and Limnology, San Francisco State University - California, USA, 1992. Honors: Magna Cum Laude.
Keywords: product management, presales engineer, presales support, software architect, consultant, senior, lead, manager, trouble shooting, e-commerce, web application developer, database developer, business intelligence, information management, Internet, backend programming, navigation, online traffic generation, internet marketing, social networking.
Relevant Projects List and References available upon request